We are proud to partner with Will Allen and Growing Power to bring the Urban Agriculture Regional Training Center to Duke Farms in Hillsborough, New Jersey.
Growing Power is a national nonprofit organization and land trust supporting people from diverse backgrounds, and the environments in which they live, by helping to provide equal access to healthy, high-quality, safe and affordable food for people in all communities. Growing Power implements this mission by providing hands-on training, on-the-ground demonstration, outreach and technical assistance through the development of Community Food Systems that help people grow, process, market and distribute food in a sustainable manner.
“Growing Your Community Food System From the Ground Up"
is an intensive, hands on, training workshop offering the opportunity to learn, plan, develop, operate, and sustain community food projects. Please be aware no video recordings are allowed.
The workshop covers the following subjects:
- Composting/Vermiculture: Learn how to build compost systems. Learn how to build and maintain a worm bin. This workshop takes two days to complete.
- Micro-green Production: Learn how to mix soil, seed, harvest, wash and package sprouts and proven strategies to sell products. This workshop takes one afternoon. The other afternoon you can take the myoscaping or community project design workshop.
- Mycoscaping: Mushrooms are growing! Learn ho to cultivate mushrooms to help remediate the soil Join us as we experiment with various substrates and strains of mycelium, and learn how to raise oyster mushrooms and other profitable varieties. This workshop takes one afternoon. The other afternoon you can take the micro-green production or community project design.
- Hoop-house Construction: Hoop houses are a great season extender whether used for early tomatoes or year round greens. They are extremely adaptable and can be inexpensive to maintain. This workshop will demonstrate how to bend pipe to make hoops, how to erect and secure the hoops, how to finish the ends as well as pull the plastic. We will also discuss strategies for utilizing the structure. This workshop takes two days to complete.
Community Project Design: Develop effective action plans for your food systems project. Meet people who have actually done community projects requiring technical expertise in soil remediation, urban agriculture and food distribution, aquaculture, vermiculture, community gardening, and composting.
Aquaponics: Learn how to build an aquaponics system and use it to fertilize a variety of crops and herbs.
2016 Growing Your Community System From The Ground Up Training Sessions:
LAST Workshop 3: September 24 – September 25.
Each 2-Day Workshop Costs $200 per person.
The workshop price includes continental breakfast, lunch on both days.
Scholarships are available for those who live and/or work in Newark, Trenton, Paterson, Jersey City and New Brunswick. Please contact email@example.com for details.
NOW REGISTERING! “Commercial Urban Agriculture Program"
Urban agriculture contributes nutritious, flavorful food to communities through year-round local food production. The ability to produce and distribute food throughout local neighborhoods is important as the demand for nutritional, good-tasting food continues to grow throughout the country. It is crucial that this healthy food be available to individuals and families in ALL neighborhoods!
While healthy food production is perhaps the most important aspect of urban agriculture, other benefits abound as well. Sustainable farming methods and food production contribute to the beauty of urban landscapes while at the same time playing a crucial role in strengthening healthy environmental management practices within our cities. Additionally, urban farmers and residents benefit as both the economic and social impacts strengthen neighbors and neighborhoods.
Growing Power’s Commercial Urban Agriculture Training Program will help you to manage your own farming business, while allowing you to learn on-site; actually practicing the hands-on skills needed to profitably farm in the city. The course is a series of three weekend seminars, running June through October, and takes place at Duke Farms.
This practical adult education training program is designed to assure that you will have the tools to begin your urban farming project when the training concludes. One-on-one advising is part of the program, both as you work between sessions to develop your farming plan and at the conclusion of the formal program. This program is designed for those individuals who are serious and ready to contribute to the food system in their communities as members of the farming profession.
The course is a series of three, three–day weekend seminars, June through October (participants are expected to attend and participate in all three, three-day sessions). The program begins on Friday and continues on Saturday mornings with small class meetings. Participants then move into hands-on learning on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. During this time, attendees concentrate on skill building focused on the participant’s individual farming business.
2016 Commercial Urban Agriculture Program Dates:
June 3 - June 5
September 23 – September 25
October One Day Session TBD
The CUA Program is $1500 per person.
The CUA Program price includes all three day workshops, a dinner the first night, and continental breakfast and lunch on both days.
To register for the Commercial Urban Agriculture Program, please contact Erika Allen, Commercial Urban Agriculture Coordinator for Growing Power at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title "CUA Application". Scholarships may be specifically available for residents of Newark, NJ through a grant to Growing Power from the Victoria Foundation.
Lodging is not included. Options include AirBnB, Holiday Inn Express in Branchburg, Days Inn in Hillsborough, Gateway Inn in Raritan/Somerville,
Duke Farms Orientation Center is located approximately 3 miles from the Somerville station on the N.J. Transit Raritan Valley Line (approximately one hour from New York Penn Station).
- From the Somerville Station, Duke Farms is approximately 30 minutes by foot or 15-20 minutes by bicycle.
- Also, Skyview Taxi is available. Please call ahead to ensure timely arrival. (908) 725-2233
- Be sure to leave yourself enough time to arrive by train and travel to Duke Farms.
For train fares and schedules go to: www.njtransit.com