What is Geocaching?
A fun, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS devices to locate hidden caches (containers). Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the hidden cahce. After signing into the logbook, the cache must be placed exactly where it was found so the next person may find it.
How is the Game Played?
If using a handheld GPS device (such as a Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, etc.):
1. Register for a free basic membership on geocaching.com.
2. Visit the Hide & Seek a Cache page to locate a cache nearby.
3. Select a cache to view its cache page which lists the cache description, GPS coordinates, and other instructions on how to find the cache.
4. Load the coordinates into your GPS device and naviagate to the hidden cache.
5. Sign the logbook inside the cache and log your visit online on geocaching.com.
If using a GPS-enabled smartphone (such as an iPhone or Andriod phone):
1. Download geocaching.com app from your app store (there is an Intro version which only allows you to navigate to 3 caches before it makes you upgrade and there is the full version which is $9.99).
2. Log-in using your geocaching.com username or create a free geocaching.com username if you do not have one.
3. Once logged in, press "Find Nearby Caches."
4. Choose the appropriate cache from the list. The cache page should appear.
5. Press "Navigate to Cache." A map should appear showing your location in relation to the cache location.
6. Navigate to the cache and sign the logbook when you find it. Go back to the cache page and press "Post a Log/Field Note" to post a log online.