As part of their participation in the Duke Farms Community Garden, every gardener is required to complete 4 hours of volunteer time for their first plot and 1 hour for each additional plot. It is the responsibility of each gardener to record hours in the Gardener Log Book. Half of these hours must be completed & recorded by August 1. The remaining hours must be completed & recorded before October 31.
There are several ways gardeners may choose to complete their volunteer requirement. Below are the details for prescheduled events. Please read the garden newsletter and join our Facebook page for additional opportunities.
- May through October
- Scheduled volunteer days are on the 1st & 3rd Saturday of each month and the 2nd Thursday of each month.
- No registration is required
- Pop-up volunteer events will be posted on Facebook and in the CG newsletter.
- You may also complete garden maintenance activities on your own time.
- To volunteer in the Education Plot, please contact Melissa Almendinger or come on any Thursday from 10am-noon to help with maintenance.
- Three annual festivals: Sugar Maple Celebration (February), Firefly Festival (July), and Creature Fest (October)
- Pre-registration & training are required.
- Contact Education Manager Kate Reilly for details.
Giving Garden Program
- To assist with planting & maintaining the neighborhood giving gardens: Please contact your Giving Garden Coordinator for more information.
- To assist with preparing produce for delivery to the food banks, please visit the Upcoming Events page for more information. (NOTE: You must be logged in to the members only page to see the events.)
How is the game played?If using a handheld GPS device (such as a Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, etc.):
- Register for a free basic membership on geocaching.com.
- Visit the Hide & Seek a Cache page to locate a cache nearby.
- Select a cache to view its cache page which lists the cache description, GPS coordinates, and other instructions on how to find the cache.
- Load the coordinates into your GPS device and naviagate to the hidden cache.
- Sign the logbook inside the cache and log your visit online on geocaching.com.
- Download geocaching.com app from your app store (there is an Intro version which only allows you to navigate to 3 caches before it makes you upgrade and there is the full version which is $9.99).
- Log-in using your geocaching.com username or create a free geocaching.com username if you do not have one.
- Once logged in, press "Find Nearby Caches."
- Choose the appropriate cache from the list. The cache page should appear.
- Press "Navigate to Cache." A map should appear showing your location in relation to the cache location.
- Navigate to the cache and sign the logbook when you find it. Go back to the cache page and press "Post a Log/Field Note" to post a log online.
Duke Farms GeoTrail
The Duke Farms GeoTrail is a geocaching challenge consisting of 11 different caches placed around the property. It is a unique journey through a variety of native habitats and landscapes.
To complete the challenge you have to fill out the GeoTrail brochure and uncover the secret word, then present your completed brochure to the front desk staff in the Orientation Center to receive your commemorative token (GeoTrail brochures are available at the front desk in the Orientation Center).