How do I rent a bike?
Visit the Bikeshare Program, which is located about ¾ of a mile from the Orientation Center. Participants 18 years and older must sign an electronic waiver and show valid photo ID. Participants under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian present to sign their waiver. Waivers can also be completed online from home at www.smartwaiver.com/v/dfbikeshare. Participants must show photo ID even when the waiver is filled out at home.
How much are bike rentals?
Bike rentals are $5 for two (2) hours. Fees are payable by credit or debit card only.
Do I have to wear a helmet?
Yes, you must wear a helmet while participating in the Bikeshare Program. No exceptions!
What are the hours of operation for the bike tent?
|Monday||10:00 am to 5 pm|
|Tuesday||10:00 am to 5 pm|
|Thursday||10:00 am to 5 pm|
|Friday||10:00 am to 5 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am to 5 pm|
|Sunday||10:00 am to 5 pm|
Please note that the last bicycle rental time is no later than 5 pm.
What types of bicycles are available to rent?
We have 80 bicycles available for rent including:
- Trek, Breezer, Townie, Fuji bikes
- Youth Bicycles (Ages 6 and up, no training wheels or trailers)
- Adult Tricycles (Limited supply, reserved for individuals with physical limitations or balance issues)
Are bike seats adjustable?
Yes, all of our bikes have adjustable seats.
What about bikes for small children? Do you have bikes with training wheels or offer child seats or trailers?
Unfortunately, we do not have any bike or carrier options for small children.
Can I bring my own bike trailer or child’s seat?
No, nothing may be attached to Duke Farms’ rental bicycles.
Can my child ride on the handlebars, in front of me, or in the tricycle basket?
No, our bikes are only meant for one rider at a time.
What if you run out of bikes? Can I call ahead to reserve?
Bikes are only available on a first-come, first-served basis. On weekends there is often a wait for bicycles during the afternoon. Remember, rentals are limited to two hours so many can enjoy this service.
Can I bring my group for bike rentals?
Groups are welcome to rent bikes. Remember, each participant must fill out a waiver. If you have a large group consider having participants fill out waivers ahead of time at home. The link to the waiver can be found at www.smartwaiver.com/v/dfbikeshare. All participants must bring valid photo ID.
To ensure availability, large groups should consider visiting during the week or as early as possible on weekends. We cannot reserve bikes, however, if you call ahead we can ensure the bike tent is staffed to efficiently service a large group.
What are the rules for biking at Duke Farms?
- Be alert and pay attention to your surroundings.
- Use safe speeds.
- Keep to the right and pass on the left.
- Slow down and announce when passing pedestrians or other bicyclists.
- Bikes must yield to pedestrians.
- When stopping, move off the trail.
- When riding in a group, don’t take up more than half the width of the trail.
- Know which trails are bike friendly. Mulch can pop bike tires.
- Bikeshare Program bicycles must remain in the Core area of the property.
What happens if I get stranded or am in an accident?
It is recommended you carry a cell phone at all times. If your bike becomes inoperative or you are in an accident, call Duke Farms Security at 908-722-3700. If it is a true, physical emergency do not hesitate to dial 911.
Why does the program close over the winter (Mid-November – March 31)?
Given the maintenance and safety concerns posed by our winters, bikes are put in storage for the duration of the winter. We utilize this time to perform tune-ups on all of the bikes to ensure they’re in top shape when they return in the spring.
Where can I find these models of bicycles?
Marty’s Reliable Cycle in Morristown carries these models.
How is the game played?If using a handheld GPS device (such as a Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, etc.):
- Register for a free basic membership on geocaching.com.
- Visit the Hide & Seek a Cache page to locate a cache nearby.
- Select a cache to view its cache page which lists the cache description, GPS coordinates, and other instructions on how to find the cache.
- Load the coordinates into your GPS device and naviagate to the hidden cache.
- Sign the logbook inside the cache and log your visit online on geocaching.com.
- Download geocaching.com app from your app store (there is an Intro version which only allows you to navigate to 3 caches before it makes you upgrade and there is the full version which is $9.99).
- Log-in using your geocaching.com username or create a free geocaching.com username if you do not have one.
- Once logged in, press "Find Nearby Caches."
- Choose the appropriate cache from the list. The cache page should appear.
- Press "Navigate to Cache." A map should appear showing your location in relation to the cache location.
- Navigate to the cache and sign the logbook when you find it. Go back to the cache page and press "Post a Log/Field Note" to post a log online.
Duke Farms GeoTrail
The Duke Farms GeoTrail is a geocaching challenge consisting of 11 different caches placed around the property. It is a unique journey through a variety of native habitats and landscapes.
To complete the challenge you have to fill out the GeoTrail brochure and uncover the secret word, then present your completed brochure to the front desk staff in the Orientation Center to receive your commemorative token (GeoTrail brochures are available at the front desk in the Orientation Center).